Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blake "Mom, my lunch $ account is low"

Well this morning as I was helping Blake to hurry along to get ready for school and not miss the bus he said, "Mom, my account is low." "What do you mean I said?" My lunch money account is low. Well at the beginning of the year I had sent 15.00 which equated to 10 school lunches. He has learned his student number now and has purchased a few milks when I did not send a drink in his lunch box, but they are only 25 cents a piece. I have recorded that he only ate school lunch 5 times the other days I have packed a lunch for him-and on many occasions he does not eat it all but will sit down at the bus stop on his way home with his friend and they will finish his lunch there.
So I called to school to see what the balance was. She said he had $1.15 left, and she would send home a report. After hanging up the phone I was very confused and said, "They don't know what they are doing down there."
Blake then pipes in to say "Mom, did you know that they have breakfast at school?" I said "yes", and then Blake's response was "I have been eating breakfast at school." "Oh really," I said, "and, about how many days have you done this?" He held up six fingers.
Well come to find out his best friend eats breakfast at school and he decided to join him. We talked a bit and decided that he could do this on occasion, but he needs to let me know so that we can keep track of the money in his account. He really does not need to eat two breakfasts a day and should be able to eat his lunch during lunch time as well. So with a little communication you can find out that school does not need to be just a big food buffet, but can also be a place for learning.

Gotta love those little ones as they learn and grow-Rayma

2 comments:

Nicole said...

that is so funny! Paul, Carter, and I laughed. Your son is a growing boy and he needs lots to eat!

shantel said...

Maybe I need to get a lunch report too. I always feel like my kids are telling me they need lunch money and it will seem like just a week ago I gave them $$$ so Hmmm!